Formula VS Breastmilk : The Ultimate Showdown
**This article is based off my own opinions, experience, and the opinions of other fellow moms.
One of the first big decisions many new moms must make for their little one is breast vs. formula.
This decision was my first look into the world of mommy guilt.
The reality of this is that no matter what you decide, other people will surely have an opinion.
Only one thing really matters: Which choice is right for you and your baby?
One of the first pieces of advice new moms often here is that clever little line "Breast is Best". The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends breast milk as the best nutrition for your baby.
Some of the biggest benefits of Breastfeeding Experts Include:
- It provides natural antibodies that help your baby resist illnesses, such as ear infections, flu, RSV, etc.
- Breastfed babies are often less constipated and gassy because breastmilk is often easier to digest.
- It may lower the risk of SIDs in the first year of your baby's life.
- It may raise your child's intelligence. Studies show breastfed babies have higher levels of cognitive function.
- For premature babies it provides a lot of vital nutrients to help baby grow
- In later years, breastmilk may help by reducing the risk of being overweight.
- Many moms often find Breastfeeding assists in losing the baby weight
- New moms also view breastfeeding as a wonderful bonding experience with your baby.
Biggest Breastfeeding Hurdles & Pitfalls according to fellow moms:
- Breastfeeding exclusively caused postpartum anxiety because I constantly worried that my baby was underfed.
- After formula feeding my 1st due to complications with my 2nd I Breastfed. Without question breastfed babies need to be fed more often.
- dietary restrictions can be frusturating when preparing meals for the family and eating out.
- Nursing in public always felt awkward no matter what I did
- No matter what I did it was always uncomfortable and painful
- I suffered Dysphoric Milk Ejection Reflex and breastfeeding and pumping just made me sad
- My milk never came in & It caused a lot of extra stress the first few months of having baby home.
The Scoop on Formula
Formula feeding is also a healthy choice for babies. If you use a formula, your baby will get the best possible alternative to breast milk. Formula has made so many advances according to pediatricians that some types of formula can get extremely close to providing much of the same nutrients to baby.
Some of the benefits of Formula Feeding include:
- Convenience. Formula-fed babies can be fed by anyone at any time.
- It's flexible. You don't have to fit pumping into your work schedule. You can leave formula for your babysitter or daycare.
- Your partner can help out with nighttime feedings and share that bonding experience with your baby.
- Formula isn't digested as quickly as breast milk, so formula-fed babies don't need to eat as often, especially in the first few months.
- You don't have to worry about what you eat. Moms who breastfeed may have to avoid certain foods that her baby can't tolerate.
- You can have a glass of wine or a cocktail once in a while. Alcohol is a no-no for women who breastfeed because they pass on tiny amounts of it to their babies.
- Moms don't have to sacrifice certain medications they may need to function better on a daily basis.
The hurdles and pitfalls of forumla feeding according to fellow moms:
- took trying a few different kinds to find a formula that worked for baby
- If you don't leave the house with enough formula or bottles it can be a disaster
- There's no way around it. You will have a lot of dirty bottles to clean, always!
- Despite a health situation forcing me to breastfeed, I felt judged by other moms.
I found I was way less stressed and a better mom when I started formula feeding my baby. I was able to be my best self when I sWhichever way you choose to feed your baby -- breast milk, formula, or a combination of both -- the most important thing is that your baby is well fed, well cared for, and loved. So ditch the mommy guilt!